CIPP/E, CIPP/US, CIPM, and CIPT Beta exams
Try our new forms and save!
Each year, the IAPP updates the exam forms to reflect changes in the industry and to retire older questions. Before we make these forms available to the general public, we need to collect audit data to beta test whether the new form meets our gold standard. We want you to help us test the new CIPP/E, CIPP/US, CIPM or CIPT exam forms and save significantly on your exam fees. In fact, we would like to offer you our discounted rate of 50% off your exam fee—That’s $275.00 savings on a full price exam!
But first, let’s answer a few questions you might have.
Where and when can I take the exams?
Tests will be available at our nearly 6,000 computer-based testing centers around the world or from the privacy of your own home or office with remote monitoring, but please note that there are limited testing windows. Here is the schedule:
- CIPP/US & CIPT: 15-28 Aug
Registration is open and ends on August 14th
- CIPP/E & CIPM: August 29 – September 11
Registration is open and ends on August 28th
Are these new IAPP tests?
no These tests are not new IAPP exams, but rather new forms of our existing certification exams. Think of forms as separate versions of a specific test. For example, the IAPP’s CIPM exam may have a Form 1, Form 2, Form 3, etc.
Some exam questions are repeated in different forms and some are unique to each form.
However, all exams cover the same general content in one denomination, regardless of the specific questions that appear on each form.
Why is it necessary to have several new forms?
Part of the reason for creating different forms is security. If ever a form was leaked and a set of exam questions ended up on the internet, the IAPP would be able to quickly and easily withdraw that form and safely manage several others as well.
Offering multiple forms is also desirable because of our retake option: a test-taker who fails an exam the first time will not see the exact same questions on a re-exam.
How are the new forms different from the exam forms currently in use?
Candidates testing the new forms should prepare for questions on the topics listed below. There are new versions of the knowledge base here under “Certification – Free Resources”. Please note that only the CIPP/E had a change to the exam blueprint. Please allow up to 4 weeks after the testing window closes to receive your results.
The following represents updated content to expect on the exams:
- Transparency obligation for data protection notices
- Important aspects of the SCCs 2021 (scope, approach, new obligations, etc.)
- Consequences of the Schrems 2 judgment on Safe Harbor, Privacy Shield, SCCs and other transfer mechanisms
- EDPB guidelines on important data protection issues (see Body of Knowledge for specific guidelines)
- Effects of the Schrems II decision on data transfers
- GLBA exemptions under state law; Driver Protection Act
- Automated hiring decision tools
- Colorado Privacy Act (CPA)
- Nevada Privacy Act (SB260)
- Business Partner Requirements/Liabilities under HIPAA and HITECH Act
- State data protection laws for students (esp. SOPPA)
- Applicability of State Data Protection Laws to HR Data
- Updates to data sharing and usage processes, including secondary usage, vendor restrictions, and usage objections
- Updates on risk assessments, control and alignment
- Updates to notification, reporting and recording of privacy incidents
- Updates on internal and external policy processes and compliance
- Adding topics across multiple domains: classification and records of processing; masking; irreversible masking; Privileged Access Management (PAM); centralized identity inventory; Dynamic masking based on identities; privacy risk assessment and analysis; privacy audits and IT control reviews; data cleansing in production and non-production environments; adtech and cookies; mobile phones and apps; edge computing; smart cities and vehicles; Blockchain and NFTs; Virtual, Augmented and Mixed Reality.
- Clarifying issues for the Privacy Engineering role: Effective implementation, technological controls and privacy protection during the development lifecycle.
How do I register?
That’s the easy part. Just buy your beta exam here and then schedule your exam during the beta test dates.
Already have a pending exam but want to join the beta? Contact us.
Thank you in advance for your participation and good luck with your exam!